Preparing, Arriving, Boarding
To help make the boarding process a “breeze,” we have provided an optional Pre-Boarding Packet. This is especially useful if you are coming over a holiday or staying overnight during the busy summer months.
The packet includes:
- Boarding Passes
- Parking Permits (for overnight parking)
- Bag Tags
For more information about the Pre-Boarding Packet or if you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 843-940-7704.
Your ride to Daufuskie will be comfortable and enjoyable. Every vessel in our fleet includes a climate-controlled cabin, rest room, and a comfortable outside deck. We provide personal assistance with boarding for passengers with a handicap. Restrooms are located at the landing, and on board the ferries.
Transit time is 45 min. Overnight visitors, please plan to arrive at the landing at least 30 minutes early. Single-day visitors to Daufuskie, please plan to arrive at the Visitor Center 45 minutes early for free parking and free shuttle service to the ferry.
If you are only visiting Daufuskie for the day, there is FREE day-time parking at the ferry’s Visitor Center. Located at 1536 Fording Island Road (Hwy 278), Suite 102, Building A, the visitor center includes a gift shop, refreshments and a free shuttle that will take you to and from the ferry landing. There are two shuttles from the Visitor Center to Buckingham Landing per ferry departure except on weekends when there is no shuttle service for the 7 AM morning departure. Shuttles to the landing leave the Visitor Center 30 minutes and 10 minutes before each ferry’s departure time.
Parking at any of the other ferry parking areas must be assigned by a crew member if space available. Since daytime parking at the landing, fruit stand or service station is scarce and is $20 per day per car if available, please use the Visitor Center. Same-day round trip tickets are $45 per person. Children 7 and under are free.
The Daufuskie Island Ferry’s Embarkation Center, which operates exclusively from Buckingham Landing, is open all year long. It is located at 55 Fording Island Road Extension (which is just off Hwy 278 at the foot of the Hilton Head Bridge on the Bluffton side). For overnight visitors to Daufuskie, parking at the Landing (including parking spaces at the fruit stand or service station) is $10 per night not to exceed $100 per month. Multiple-day tickets are $55 per person. Children 6 year old or younger are free. Single-day visitors to Daufuskie should use the visitor center since daytime parking at the landing, fruit stand or service station is scarce and is $20 per day per car.
PRIVATE WATER TAXI
If our schedule doesn’t work for you or if you prefer the privacy of your own boat, a custom water taxi can be scheduled to pick you up at a time that fits your schedule. Available to or from Daufuskie when you want it. Reservations required: 843-940-7704. ALSO SERVES SAVANNAH, BEAUFORT and more. Call 843-940-7704
- Keep it light! Pack as if you were traveling by plane.
- Consolidating small pieces into one suitcase/container is recommended.
- Be sure to tag each piece of luggage with your reservation name and phone number – Luggage tags are available at the terminal.
- Pack all items in closed containers, such as suitcases or zippered bags. Open bags such as grocery bags will be refused.
- Carry on any necessities, such as food or medication in case your checked luggage must be shipped on a different boat.
- Plan to purchase or rent items on the island
- Daufuskie does have a small grocery store and a Saturday farmer’s market.
- Many rentals include play pens, and high-chairs. Check with your rental agent.
- There are companies that rent kayaks, bikes and beach chairs.
- Be prepared to pay the crew for their luggage handling services
- $10 for loading up to half a baggage cart
- $20 for loading up to a full baggage cart
- The ferry company has the right to refuse any item which could hamper the safe operation of the ferry including unusually large items or items with sharp edges.
- NO Coolers or totes with capacities larger than 48-quarts
- If luggage must be shipped on a different boat, it will come on the next available departure which could be the following morning.
- Luggage tickets can be purchased from the ferry agent when checking in.
- First piece of baggage under 50 lbs. is complimentary
- For additional baggage, the cost will be $12 per 50 lbs.
*Beginning June 1, 2022
- Items such as furniture, appliances, tools, landscape and building materials, etc)
- One-way Up to a half of a baggage cart of freight $25 per 1/2 bin
- One-way More than half and up to a full baggage cart of freight $50 per full bin
- Bicycles One-way (bring your own bike) $9 per seat
- Kayaks One-way (bring your own kayak) $12 per seat
- Unaccompanied Parcels One-way (no charge for transporting medications) $22 per item
We thank you for choosing the Daufuskie Island Ferry. If you have any questions, please call us at 843-940-7704
Daytime visitors can go to the Daufuskie Visitor Center to catch the free shuttle to Buckingham Landing. Plan to arrive 45 minutes early.
Overnight visitors should go directly to the Landing to drop off their luggage and get assistance with parking. Plan to arrive at Buckingham Landing about 30 minutes before your departure time.
When driving to the landing, please be considerate of the people who live in the area. This includes driving slowly, radios turned off or at low volume, no littering, and parking only in designated areas.
Upon arrival, drive to the luggage platform under the building to unload your luggage. The crew will help you with parking concerns and will assist you with your baggage for departure and arrival.
Personal assistance from the ferry crew is available for passengers who are handicapped or may have difficulty with boarding or exiting the ferry.
The Captain gives a boarding call 15 minutes before departing. If you choose to wait upstairs, please go down to the boarding area under the building for boarding call.
Passengers are strongly encouraged to make reservations ahead of time to avoid delays in boarding. If you use the ferry website, a confirmation of your reservation will be emailed to you. Our reservation system uses virtual tickets. When you arrive at the boat, the reservation software will indicate that a reservation under your name has been booked with a credit card. You don’t need to present a paper ticket. Reservations can be made from any of our agents, over the phone or on our website.
(Island Residents are encouraged to make reservations. The QRcode on the back of the ID card is used for payment of the reservation.)
If you do not have a ticket at boarding time and if there is space available, please be prepared to present a credit card. Cash is not accepted on the ferry. At boarding time, reservations without payment will be assigned stand-by status.
Here is some advice to make your trip an easy and enjoyable experience:
Pack sparingly – The island lifestyle is VERY casual.
Tag each of your bags with your name and cellphone number.
Make sure all your bags are closed or zippered to avoid spillage.
Plan to carry on all your valuables, medications and breakable items.
Consider using a grocery shopping service to deliver your groceries to you at the dock:
Leave any luggage or other items that you cannot carry on by yourself on the loading platform for assistance by a luggage handling service provider.
Make sure you have a golf cart, bicycle, or land transportation waiting for you when you arrive on Daufuskie.
Still have questions?
We have answers...
For more information on planning your trip to Daufuskie Island please visit the link below. If you still have questions we’d be happy to assist you and helping you plan your travel. Don’t hesitate to call us at 843-940-7704. Safe Travels.