Questions & Answers
Questions & Answers
The ferry leaves from Buckingham Landing (at the foot of the Hilton Head Bridge on the Bluffton side). Plan to get there at least 25 minutes before your departure time.
Buckingham Landing is used exclusively by the Daufuskie Island Ferry. Just pull under the building with the green round roof and unload your luggage onto the drop-off platform. When the ferry arrives, the crew will come up to the waiting area and help you with your luggage and direct you to parking. Payment for overnight parking can be made via credit card at that time. Passengers will receive a parking permit to place on their car’s dashboard when parking over night.
Secure overnight parking is available at the Daufuskie Island Visitor Center is located at Tanger 2 Outlet Hilton Head, 1414 Fording Island Road, Suite A-190, Bluffton, SC 29910. Please plan to arrive 1 hour prior to departure. For overnight visitors to Daufuskie, parking is priced per night.
Carry-on baggage can be no larger than 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches, comparable to the airline standard. No more than two bags or one wagon may be carried on by each passenger at boarding call. This includes items such as a duffel bag, pets on leash or in a carrier, cooler or golf clubs, which a passenger may carry on without assistance. (Baggage fees may apply).
- First piece of baggage under 50 lbs is complimentary
- For additional baggage Luggage Tickets are required, $12 per 50 lbs bags
There is a luggage handling service fee paid to the crew for handling items which the passenger does not carry on himself/herself. (This is separate from your luggage ticket baggage fees).
For handling baggage filling up to 1/2 of a baggage cart – $10 one way
For handling baggage filling up to a full baggage cart – $20 one way
BICYCLES—per seat (Tandem bicycles are charged for two seats.) – $9 one way
KAYAKS—per kayak – $12 one way
There is no charge for transporting medications. To transport other parcels is $22 one way.
This includes furniture, appliances, tools, landscape and building materials, etc.
Up to 1/2 of a baggage cart of freight – $25 one way
More than half and up to a full baggage cart of freight – $50 one way
Here are some tips to make your trip an easy and enjoyable experience:
- Pack sparingly – The island lifestyle is VERY casual.
- Tag each of your bags with your name and cellphone number.
- Make sure all your bags are closed or zippered to avoid spillage. Boxes to hold open bags such as grocery bags and satchels can be purchased at the dock.
- Plan to carry on all your valuables, medications and breakable items.
- Consider using a grocery shopping service to deliver your groceries to you at the dock:
- Any luggage or other items that you cannot carry on by yourself may be left on the loading platform and the crew will load them into the ferry’s baggage carts. A luggage handling service charge (similar to the gratuity that you would give a valet for equal service) will be due and payable to the crew at the time that your items are loaded.
Whether you are just spending the day or staying longer, you will need land transportation. Golf carts are the transportation of choice although some hardy cyclists rent bicycles. If you are staying over night, you need to arrange transportation from the dock to your rental unit. Some rental properties will have a golf cart for you when you get there. When a property does not include a cart, you may need to rent one for your entire stay. Any one of our preferred golf carts vendors can have a cart waiting for you when you step off the boat.
Island Carts (gas carts) – 843-505-3937
Mungin Creek (gas carts) – 912-844-0222
Yes, the Freeport Marina has a convenience store that stocks most things you and your family might forget to bring. Bug spray. Suntan Lotion. Water. D’Fuskies located at the County Dock has a great variety of grocery staples in addition to pizza and deli sandwiches.
If need be, you can phone any number of Hilton Head grocery stores and give them your grocery list and they deliver your groceries to the ferry. You could also use a grocery buy-and-deliver service such as:
To order, just call or email your grocery list. There is usually a fee for the grocery shopping and delivery service.
The Nauti Butler – Phone: 732-284-7660
The Cyber Valet Service – Phone : 843-505-8568
Transit time is 45 min.
If you are only visiting Daufuskie for the day, there is FREE daytime parking at the Visitors Center. Please plan to arrive 45 minutes early. Located at Tanger 2 Outlet Hilton Head, 1414 Fording Island Road, Suite A-190, Bluffton, SC. This climate-controlled location allows visitors multiple food and beverage and entertainment options, public restrooms and retail offerings. There are two complimentary shuttles to Buckingham Landing per ferry departure except for the 7 AM and 9 PM (friday only) departures. Shuttles to the landing leave the Visitors Center 30 minutes and 10 minutes before each ferry’s departure time.
Additional Travel Times:
Shuttle bus ~ 5 min | Ferry ~ 45 min | Custom Water Taxi ~ varies
Please observe the following general rules of conduct.
- Passengers must wait in the designated waiting area until the boarding call is made.
- Smoking is not allowed on any Daufuskie Island Ferry.
- Firearms are not permitted on any Daufuskie Island Ferry.
- Passengers must be appropriately dressed (shoes and shirts are required).
- Eating is not permitted in the enclosed cabin. Drinking from glass containers is not allowed. Food and beverages are allowed on the aft open deck only.
- Guide dogs or trained personal assistant animals can accompany their owners. Passengers with personal pets must keep them in the designated area.
- Riding Daufuskie Island Ferry is a privilege. Please behave politely and do not disturb others.
- Please use headphones when listening to your radio / CD / MP3 player.
- The Daufuskie Island Ferry service accepts credit cards, and printed tickets which can be purchased on-line. No exceptions will be made. If you have any questions about purchasing Daufuskie Island Ferry tickets, please call 843-940-7704.
- Please make sure to take all belongings when leaving the ferry. If you find something that has been lost, please give it to the staff. Please call the Daufuskie Island Ferry office with lost and found inquiries at 843-940-7704. Daufuskie Island Ferry is not responsible for personal belongings.
Daufuskie Island Ferry Service information: 843-940-7704.
For More Safety Regulations please click here.
Still have questions?
We have answers...
For more information on planning your trip to Daufuskie Island please visit the link below. If you still have questions we’d be happy to assist you and helping you plan your travel. Don’t hesitate to call us at 843.940.7704. Safe Travels.